Because this website is often updated with new information, photos and items added to existing posts, I realized that it would be useful to have a ‘signpost’ alerting readers to where such newly-added content is located. Hence this page showing “what’s new in the Cybis Archive”… and my apologies for not thinking of this much sooner!
This page will be updated on a monthly basis. Links to cited posts (or to the post in which a cited sculpture appears) will open in a new tab.
A link to this what’s-new page appears above the website header and also (on desktop/laptop displays) in the right sidebar under “Pages.” On mobile displays that section is usually located below the links to the last four recent Archive posts.
Links to the last four new posts will continue to be displayed below the most current post in the Archive. And so, without further ado:
New content added to existing Cybis Archive posts
- Two papka female heads were added to 1940s Papka & Porcelain.
- A dark ‘mystery shorebird’ joined the Later Birds flock.
- An attractive, alternate-color artist’s proof of the Chess Set’s King was discovered.
- An alert about the condition of most Humpback Whale pieces was added.
- The Wedding post now contains a photo of the Bridesmaid, an alternate colorway of the Bridegroom, and a never-released bride figure.
- Photos of the final Cybis holiday ornaments (Partridge Ball Ornament and Millennium Ornament) were discovered.
- The Gifts of State post now shows the Presidential Seal medallion that Cybis utilized.
- Three newfound items were added to the Flowers post.
- The Angels contingent contains almost a half dozen new members.
- The Patriotic post now includes four unreleased experimental pieces.
- New small ring/trinket boxes, as well as a pair of short candlesticks and several unreleased paperweights, are now among the Giftware items.
- An experimental dish/bowl featuring Neptune and dolphins was found.
- A lion head plaque and a tree plaque were added to Plaques and Plates.
- New unreleased animals include a zebra, bison, and lion as well as a charming 1940s Foo Dog.
- A never-released Nude with Plinth can be seen among the Classical Impressions.
- An unidentified female saint was added to the Religious Items post; any suggestions for her possible identity are welcome! Also added was a leftover, unfinished 1964 Saint Peter.
- A surprisingly early (probably 1950s) Child Bust has been discovered, as well as a female version of the Eskimo Child bust.
- Good photos have finally been found of the Nativity Angel III as well as the Cocker Spaniel.
- Two more instances of early-1960s branch-snatching have come to light involving birds and flowers, plus a double body-part snatch done to create a new angel in the early 2000s.
- An unexpected 1950s bird flew into the Cypia ‘coop’ as well as a Cypia example of their first eagle; both also alighted in the Early Birds post. The Later Birds post now shows alternate colorways of two other eagles plus an unreleased Seagull. The Owls post also received a small never-released Screech Owl.
- Several newfound items were added to 1940s Papka and Porcelain, including a truly odd adaptation of an Infant of Prague and multiple interpretations of the Beaked Bird Head.
- The Archive now contains color photos of Mirror of Justice and Mater Dolorosa, as well as Sun of Justice and Ecce Homo.
- The Ryder Cup now has a companion Ryder Heart Box.
- We now know what the elusive early-1960s reclining figure Ilona looks like.
- The Horses post received quite a number of new additions: a good photo (at last!) of the Pony and Children, a glazed version of Black Beauty, several newfound 1940s horses, and a never-released girl on pony and rocking horses from the 1980s.
- Experimental/OOAK/additional versions of the following pieces were added to their respective Archive posts: the 1984 Annual Egg and Egg Vase with Eagle Lid; Camille; Christ Child with Lamb; madonnas Mother Most Admirable and Queen of Angels; Comanche Indian head medallion; the children Little Heart, Andy, David the Shepherd Boy, First Flight, and Lisa and Lynette; the Swimmer; ballerinas Curtain Call and The Enchanted Princess Aurora; Eros and Psyche; Hamlet; Richard the Lionheart; the flower studies Clematis with House Wren, Dahlia, Pansy and Magnolia; bunnies Bon Bon and Heartfelt; the small Bear, a pair of Bear Cubs, and the bull Taurus; Bathsheba; the Cerulean Warbler; and two of the elephants.
- Twenty posts were updated with various sculpture information such as retirement/closing years and prices, and/or the original designer’s name.
- Production details about the Bull ‘God of the Thunderbolt’ were expanded.
- Better images of the Australian Sulphur Crested Cockatoos were added.
- A new knockoff of the Madonna with Bird entered the Hall of Shame.
- The production history of Thumbelina received a major update.
- Yet another rose-accented madonna bust joined the crew of 1950s pieces.
- A charming late-1950s quail has been added to the Early Birds flock.
- Multiple new photos of the 1950s and the early-2000s Guardian Angel figures were added.
- Updated the highest known numbered Virginia Dare.
- Three mysterious Cybis signature formats were discovered.
- More details (and an unusual version!) of the Hippo ‘T.G.I.F’ have been added.
- The question of whether the Golden Clarion Lily was or wasn’t produced with a base is examined.
- A list of Cybis design numbers was added to the Archive.
- A 1950s Egg Box with an unusual decoration was added.
- Better and additional photos of a Mother Most Admirable with Halo have been obtained.
- A very unusual small 1950s angel has been discovered.
- The rarely-seen white bisque Peter Pan is now illustrated.
- The multiple designers of Berengaria have been identified.
- A blue version of Abigail Adams has been discovered.
- A pair of early, unreleased skiers designed by Ispanky for Cybis now starts the Sports Figures post.
- The studio’s usage of the A.P. / AP (artist’s proof) designation has been corrected based on new evidence.
- An unusual case of early branch-snatching was added to the Body Snatching tally.
- Added a white-and-gold 1950s bird marked M.B. Cybis to Early Birds
- Yet another item was added to the Body Snatching tally.
- Added two newfound 1950s madonna-and-child sculptures.
- One new 1950s angel joined the overview.
- Added a group/composite photos of the 12 Days of Christmas ornaments.
- Two detailed descriptions of the art in Boleslaw’s 1940 NYC restaurant were added to this post.
- An additional case of branch-snatching was found.
- A new bird flew into the Hall of Shame, as well as a birdless Madonna With Bird knockoff.
April 2019: no additions
- Better photos of the circa-1990s Little Chick and Baby Duckling joined the Later Birds flock.
- Added an early example of the Blue Vireo Building Nest.
- Updated production-years information about the Cordey lighted Christmas trees.
- Attention was called to extra firing holes present in some Good Queen Anne pieces.
- An unusually colored On Cue was added to the Ballerinas post.
- A newfound 1950s singing angel was added.
- Two Lefton China copies of Cybis pieces are now on display in the Hall of Shame.
- Updated/additional photos added of the Knight in Shining Armor.
- Additional examples of and details about the Angels in Adoration.
- A 1950s signature on a 1960s Head of Boy and Head of Girl.
- A new name added to the Honor Roll.
- Actual height of the 1950s Great Horned Owl corrected.
- Additional photograph of and commentary about the wood Stable that was available for the 1980s Nativity Set.
- A group photo shows the relative sizes of the Cybis heart boxes.
- Updated information about Beau Brummel
- Much new and updated information about the original and second versions of the Condesa Rose.
- All Jesus figures and crucifixes were removed from the Religious items overview and given their own post.
- New photos and information added about the Pope John Paul II issues.
- The Giftware post now contains an additional and better photograph of the circa 1950s Heart Box (Small).
- A charming small Praying Nun now resides in the Religious Items post.
- Added a new Dove to the Later Birds and Body Snatching posts.
- A second version of an Immaculate Heart of Mary bust was added to the 1950s madonnas.
- A black-painted example of the Cybis signature was discovered.
- An excellent photo of the Oremus Hands plaque was added.
- A 1940 photo incorrectly identified as being Marja Cybis was moved to the Marylin Chorlton post.
- An example appoximating the appearance of the rare white bisque Wood Wren with Dogwood was added.
- Two artisan names were added to the Honor Roll.
- The name of the company that produced the Cybis short films was discovered.
- Additional pictures of the Knight in Shining Armor were added, as well as edition information.
- Information about the very first Cybis mermaid is now in All at Sea.
- A newfound Baby Lamb joined the Menagerie.
- An unusual red-haired, alternate-colorway Rapunzel was discovered.
- The discovery of a 1963 price list resulted in a number of updates to prices and production years, especially for the Religious figures, and an updated Publications post as well.
- We have three more instances of Body Snatching.
- A new Hippo variant is now in the Menagerie.
- A second example of the Mandolinist joined the papka Angelic Orchestra.
- Added 1989 and 1990 issue years and/or issue prices to 14 sculptures in various categories.
- Two new items were added to Body Snatching.
- A color photo of the male Carolina Paroquet was discovered.
- Another new item was added to Cybis Publications.
- Some non-eBay suggestions for Selling Your Cybis are now included.
- Several new items were added to the Cybis Publications post.
- A photo of the Nixon Library & Museum’s artist proof Chess Set was added.
- Newfound details about Cinderella, Belle of the Ball were learned.
- Another Columbia title was added to the ever-(but slowly)growing list.
- A new example of “body snatching” was added.
- The Madonna with Bird was discovered to be a Holland Mold Company design; several posts were updated to reflect this information.
- A small vermeil Cybis phoenix brooch was added to Cybis Display Signs.
- The site was upgraded to remove all advertising.
- A photo of an original Boleslaw Cybis conte drawing (not a lithograph) was added to the Folio One post.
- Two additional instances of Body Snatching were discovered.
- A photo of the actual chess set brought by President Nixon to Russia, complete with case, was added to the Chess Set post.
- An excellent photo of The Stable was added to the 1980s Nativity Set post.
- It was discovered that a small 1950s angel was originally one of a boy/girl pair of commercial molds; a photo of the commercially available set was added to the Angels post.
- An unusual Mr. Snowball was discovered.
- An historical anecdote about the Burro ‘Fitzgerald’ was added to his description.
- A special one of a kind Abigail Adams is described.
- The list of Gifts of State sculptures brought by President Gerald Ford on his 1975 European tour has been expanded.
- A fine example of a 1950s Egg Box was added to the Decorative Eggs post and also cited in Giftware.
- Photos of an additional full-color Saint Francis with Doves and Lambs were added.
- A new item was added to the Hall of Shame.
- The Holiday Children post received its final revision and updating, including a new photo of one of the later issues.
- The acquisition of three 1990s price lists resulted in the addition of Cybis retail price information and introduction/retirement dates to almost 200 sculptures throughout the site. Posts containing especially large numbers of updated items include the bunnies, the 1980s nativity set, the angels, the later madonnas, and the Hall of Fame series as a group.
- Images of, and details about, those three 1990s price lists were added to the Publications post at the end of October.
- Extensive updating of edition information, including one newfound design, was also done to the Classical Impressions post.
Images of Cybis porcelain sculptures are provided for informational and educational purposes only. All photographs are copyrighted by their owner as indicated via watermark. Images bearing a Cybis watermark appear here by kind permission of Cybis, Inc. for use solely as reference material herein. Please see the copyright notice in the footer and sidebar for important information regarding the text that appears within this website.